6 Reasons Why Crochet > Knitting
I’m often asked, what’s the difference between crochet and knitting? Or, I’ve been knitting all my life, why should I start crocheting? Being totally biased as I usually am, I can confidently say that I’m Team Crochet—but not without explaining why.
- It’s so easy to pick up! I learned crochet through online videos and it only took me on day. Now a year later, I’m writing articles like to this to introduce everyone to my own passion.
- You’ll only need one hook. I mean, how cool is that? You can make yourself a giant dinosaur with a single metal stick!
- Crochet hooks tend to be more affordable compared to knitting needles. This makes sense if you think about it. Buying a necklace piece would cost less then its earring counterpart because that would mean double the plate. The same rule applies to crochet. I managed to collect all 20 of my hooks on eBay for a combined price of merely 5 dollars! That’s a steal!
- It’s versatile and you can make anything with it! Compared to knitting, crochet tends to be more flexible in that you can easily expand and create a greater variety of shapes with ease. Most stranger projects are made with crochet such as dolls and appliques because it’s so much more convenient to add knots instead of working in rows.
- Compared to knitting, crochet projects tend to be stiffer and sturdier. This comes in handy when you’re looking to make items like hats, gloves, dolls, home décor, and afghans.
- Even if you mess up, it is easy to correct your mistakes with crochet. While in knitting, if you messed up on your stitches, you’ll have to pull back X amount of stitches and pray that you can collect them back on the needle (which we all know is a painful process seeing how many stitches some projects have…), but with crochet, you can actually just pull out a few knots, stick the hook back in, and carry on with your project.
So wa-la! My reasons for why I think crochet is better then knitting. Although this may be an unpopular opinion, I really do hold crochet dear. Let me know if you guys are team crochet or team knitting and why in the comments below, and don’t follow to follow Wilfi on facebook, pinterest, and instagram for more goodies in the future!
Happy crafting~! 😀